View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 AM
dojo36

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm just beginning this topic to see what you all think.
As a child I remember watching my grandmother make me a quilt, that I still have some 50 years later. She had a treadle sew matching a pair of scissors and a fabric tape measure. Her quilts were/are amazing.
Are we now depending on gidgets and gadgets and modern machines too much?
I know we can whip out amazing quilts in days instead of weeks/months, I am just wondering if new is always better?
David
yes i love the new in everything modern. heck with that old way of doing anything. if we had to go back to the old way of quilting, then we'd have to also milk the cows every morning, cut our wood to stay warm in woodburning stove, haul our water up out of the well outside, heat our water on that wood burning stove, do our laundry outside on a wash board, hang it all from a rope tied to 2 trees, hitch up the horse & buggy to go to town, go outside in the dead of winter to use the outhouse, but have a chamber pot beside the bed for just liquids, dig a new hole and move the outhouse every couple years. no thanks - i'll take everything computerized and modern, bet some of you younger ladies don't even know about some of the above things. nice to look back and remember - but even nicer to have all the modern stuff. so i'll now go take my nice warm shower at a flick of the faucet handle, have a nice day yall.