Thread: Starch
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 06:14 AM
SuzanneG
Banned

I do starch sometimes, especially if I know I will have lots of bias edges to contend with. I make my own however. It's much cheaper, no chemicals and I always have the ingredients on hand since it only requires water and corn starch.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:
In a two cup Pyrex measuring cup, mix 1/2 - 1 tsp. corn starch with a tablespoon or two of room temperature water. Add one cup boiling water and stir well. Add one cup room temp. water and stir well. Cool just a bit, then pour into your own spray bottle (the kind they sell in the gardening section at walmart).

A few notes - the amount of corn starch you add will determine the stiffness of your fabric. I like mine a bit stiffer so I add a good teaspoon.
Remember to give the sprayer a shake before you use it and a few times while using it to keep everything well mixed.
Because this has no preservatives, each batch will only last a week or two and will then need to be discarded, if there's any left.
Like all starches (either homemade or store bought) it can attract critters like silverfish, so make sure you don't store starched fabric. (Honestly, I have never had this happen, but since it can, it needs mentioned.)