Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM
QuiltnCowgirl

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
The 400/500 series Singers don't do FMQ very well - the bobbin configuration causes a LOT of skipped stitches - sometimes it skips more than it hits!

I first tried to learn FMQ on my 401 and I did manage to get some done, but that was an experience in frustration. I even brought out the "quilting words" when I was trying to quilt with that machine! ;) But, I found a beautiful 15-91 on craigslist and life suddenly got a lot better! :D

Some machines just aren't as capable in certain areas as others - your 403 is one of the best all-around household sewing machines you could have, but this is one thing it isn't good at.

A vertical bobbin machine would open a whole new world to you - many of the Kenmores from the 50's to the present, the Singer 15's, the post-war "clones" of the 15 and many more will have this bobbin configuration and most of the vintage machines will have a much bigger open area under the arm than modern machines. You can find them really cheap on craigslist - just watch for them. :)
Thanks! Good to know that it may be more the machine than me LOL. Sounds like I have a reason to buy another machine to add to the collection? :D Too bad my Featherweight has such a small arm area - it has the vertical bobbin.