View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm just beginning this topic to see what you all think.
(snip)
Are we now depending on gidgets and gadgets and modern machines too much?
I know we can whip out amazing quilts in days instead of weeks/months, I am just wondering if new is always better?
David
I know what you mean, David... Go cutters, long arm machines, whole lines of fabrics designed to coordinate for quilts... Quilting is BIG BUSINESS today. Back in the day it didn't even require a sewing machine, just a frame, and women didn't even buy fabric for quilting, they salvaged the still-good parts of old clothing and used that, or the fabric from empty feed sacks.

The good thing is that there is something for everyone. Those who love all the big new toys and conveniences can enjoy quilting their way, and those who can't afford all of the bells and whistles (or just don't want them) can quilt more traditionally. No one is excluded from this 'sport'.

To me it seems horrific to piece a quilt top and then hand it over to someone else to finish quilting on their long arm machine. I wouldn't feel like it was mine. I don't even particularly relish sewing blocks made by someone else into my quilt. I'm just funny that way. If I say "I made it", then I mean all the way. :wink: