View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Mattee

SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) can occur when babies or infants get their heads pressed up against soft objects, such as a bumper. There are a lot of causes of SIDS against which parents are strictly warned, one of which is not leaving any soft objects in a crib. Babies are only supposed to have a tight-fitted sheet on a firm mattress in order to protect against suffocation hazards. As a mom, I certainly wouldn't risk it. My kids will only use a tight-fitted sheet, and that's it. Have millions (actually, probably billions) of babies survived just fine with soft stuff in their cribs? Of course. Have a few died because of soft stuff? Yes. Will I risk my child? No way!

There have been major educational campaigns in recent years in the US and some other nations (I've been told that Australia is one) to educate new parents, and the rate of SIDS deaths has dropped dramatically.

Originally Posted by granny_59
Originally Posted by Mattee
Please be careful with what you put in the crib. :) Bumpers and other soft items shouldn't be there, because of SIDS.
Boah............I have never heard a thing like that! Why? We make bumpers only on the end where the head lies and not all the way around. Got my kids bedded like that and first two grandsons also.