View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Lynnie25

Kwendt, great list, spot on.

I would also like to see lots more free demos on tools, templates, etc. Not everyone can follow instructions from books, slip of paper - once shown, then I have the basics and can follow any instruction later.

A 'quilting book' corner with chairs so you can browse through the books comfortably. If I am going to spend $60 or more on ONE book, I want to see what is in it and whether it is worth getting, without stern looks of disapproval from LQS staff.

All bolts of fabric easily accessible - I hate having to go behind the counter of a LQS to see fabric, notions, etc. Moving fabric color combos around the store regularly creates added interest and it seems to make me notice (and purchase) fabrics previously missed

Oh I could go on and on and on...

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ohhh! Good Question!
1. Friendliness, down-to-earth people working there that love to help and get enthused over one's projects.
2. It's also nice when someone looks up and smiles at you when you first walk in the door, even if they are busy and cannot get to you right away, they've acknowledge that they've seen you. Bonus points if they look up, smile AND welcome you by name then go back to whatever they're doing.
3. Personally, I like to see a lot of different types of samples, colorways, etc. While Thimbleberries 'country' is a nice look, it gets boring after a while. A nice cross-section of styles, colors, quilts, options hanging on the walls and put on display get my creative 'juices' a going...
4. Sale racks, sale kits, sale things. Give aways. Freebies. Free demos' on how to use notions, etc.
5. A big back room with 8' tables for classes - or for local quilters like me who do not have the space available to spray baste, pin baste or thread baste a large quilt. Nice when I can call ahead, making sure that there's nothing else going on... and can come over and lay things out. Even get some help!
6. Dinner classes....potlucks... slumber parties... quilt-til-you-wilt events. Fun things!