Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I guess I get bored easily. Sometimes I don't feel like working on a particular quilt, so I always have lots of WIPs. They all do eventually get finished, though.

Does Sweetie have the stitch regulator? What is the largest quilt you've quilted with her so far? I'm thinking that she might be better for me than a stand-up version.
So far, about 60in square, but my next one will be an 86in one for my daughter. No, I don't have a stitch regulator, but I was quite good at FMQ before I got my Bernina that did have one. Also, with Sweetie, it is possible to dial in a speed that you want to work at, then all you do is put your foot flat down on the pedal. Obviously you can still slow up by lifting your foot, but when fully down, to your chosen speed, all you have to do is move the quilt at a regular pace. Its possible to dial in three different speeds at one time, and she remembers what speed I was using the last time I did any work.

Things to think about. No needle up lever, and no feed dogs (don't need either). It does have a needle up, needle down setting, and that can be changed by tapping the screen, or tapping the foot pedal. So far, it has taken cotton, poly cotton and rayon all without needing any tensions changes, also with same thread on the bobbins, or bottom line (much thinner) thread on the bobbins, so I have been really impressed with that. Don't forget that it comes with a seriously big seperate bobbin winder that will wind two bobbins at the same time if you want it to. It also has a dial that once you have it sussed, it will stop winding when the bobbin is full.

So far, I haven't gone beyond 50% of the available speed (she stitches at up to 1500 per min) because that is how comfortable I am at moving the quilt under the needle. It's brilliant at having the space to puddle a nice big area so that I can have quite a bit of movement before I have to stop and shift to a different area. I am really loving it so far.

Can you tell I really like it? LOL.