View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 AM
cat-on-a-mac

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I like to be able to see all of the fabric easily. The shop near where my parents live has a lot of fabric but half of it is leaned in stacks that are hard to access.
I
I second this. I used to work in a So-Fro (YEARS ago), and we always pulled the end of the fabric around the bolt, so that about 1/2 yd or so was "free" to be viewed and felt (texture is imporant,too). I haven't seen this done in a long time.

I hate that in many places you have to remove the bolt from the shelf or stack to open it up and get a good view of it. (And then, you can never put it back neatly!) One LQS here actually puts an elastic band around the bolts so that you CAN't open it up. Hate that.

It takes me a long time to select fabric, and I do a lot of browsing, comparing colors, etc. I like shops that are more compartmentalized (like, an old house with lots of little rooms), so I don't feel like I'm being watched all the time by a clerk. I guess that's not necessarily the best thing for an owner, however, as you need to keep an eye on your customers!