View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 AM
GirlieWhirlie

Originally Posted by Maride
It should be the part where you spend the most time, at least that is what I believe. Weather or not you finish a quilt will be determined first by how much you like the colors you chose(unless you are working for someone else). Don't worry about the time. Concentrate first on liking the colors you pick and you are more likely to get it done, because you like it. Don't be afraid to combine weird colors. Quilting is not like dressing. When dressing you want colors to blend, when quilting you want colors to contrast, otherwise your work will not be noticeable. A color wheel come in very handy when you have a hard time choosing fabrics. Also a couple cardboard pieces with a 2 inch window cut out. When you see a bolt you see the whole piece as an unit, but in your quilt it will not be like that. Sometimes is easier if you just see a small portion of the fabrics. I tend to select colors that are opposite in the color wheel rather than next to each other.
What good advice. I never thought about the cardboard trick but it makes sense. Thanks.