View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM
qnana

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
They all have different features. Just like sewing machines, we need to choose carefully to make sure we get the one that suits us best.

Santa got me a Kindle. I love it.

The reason I wanted it is that I love to read big books-- thick history books, gigantic biographies, and long complex novels; however, my hands are arthritic and heavy books cause me real pain. The Kindle weighs about a half pound, no matter whether it has one big thick book inside or 3500 books in it. Amazing.

Other reasons I like the Kindle:

I read outside often so the non-glare screen was a big deal for me.

I have insomnia and my doctor has cautioned that I should not be looking at any lit screens within one hour of bedtime-- no tv or computer, no IPAD with lights inside. I can read with a light coming from BEHIND me. So I turn on a bedside lamp and use my Kindle.

I like the ease of getting books from Amazon; some are even free like classic lit like Jack London novels. I wanted to read them in school but never got around to it. Now I am making time to read them. You can look on
ereader-freebies.blogspot.com to see the list of free books and how to get them.

Newspapers (LA Times, Wash Post, Wall St Journal, Boston Globe, Philly daily News and dozens more) and magazines (Newsweek, Time, Readers Digest, the Atlantic, etc.) are readily available too.

Kindle fits in my purse, no bulk, no weight. I bring it with me when I go shopping, and read while waiting in line. (I hate lines. This Kindle is good for my blood pressure too, I think. Makes waiting easier!)
Ditto! I love my new Kindle. Just downloaded several free books this am. My DH also gave me a cover w/a light attached so I could read into the wee hours without bothering him. :wink: It makes it a bit heavier, but I am making a quilted cover for daytime so it is easier on my hands. The more I use it, the better I like it. It takes a bit of adjustment. I still reach for the top to turn the page. :roll: