View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 AM
frugalfabrics

Ok, just posted me a new avatar and I've already gotten a few requests for a bigger photo of it.

The grandmother's flower garden quilt has always amazed me. Even long before I ever thought of quilting, I loved the detail and colors of the older fabric in these quilts.

This particular quilt I stumbled upon by accident at an auction. I purchased a box of towels for $1 and low and behold when I got home and went to wash the rag towels, I found this beautiful quilt at the bottom of the box.

The wear on it showed that it had been a "working" quilt as I like to call them. Looks as though it was used everyday in the household and loved by the family.

As much as I loved it, I knew that I would probably just store it in a closet, because I had no place to put it for display and have it be protected from the elements. So I took lots of pictures of her and spent time with her and looked her over and tried to learn about the detail work on her....and then I put her up for sale on ebay. It was the hardest thing having to let it go, but I enjoyed looking at the detail of it and learning alot from all the pictures, which I still look at now and then.

The person that bought it called me was so excited to have won it and even let me know that she promised to take good care of it and put it on display in a protected place, because she too cherished older quilts and felt they needed to be enjoyed by all....that made me feel so good to know it went to a loving home.

Here the link to this block pattern at Quilter's Cache: http://quilterscache.com/G/Grandmoth...rdenBlock.html
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161474.jpe   attachment-161475.jpe