Thread: middle name
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What an interesting topic!

When I divorced 11 years ago, I had a name change for me written into the decree. I didn't want his last name any more since he didn't want me. I had 2 DDs by different fathers so their last names were not the same, (and one was married anyway). At 57 I didn't feel like taking up my maiden name again after all those years. And besides, MY maiden name was Janet Jackson! True! (**side story below)

So I legally dropped the "et" from my name, which I had hated for decades, chose a name from my maternal side and a name from my paternal side, put them together legally without a middle name, and it was done. Jan Bennett-Collier

It has caused me no end of problems over the years because way too many people can't read, pronounce, or use their thinkers......I get Jon Benet/Bennett Cou-li-ay, Mrs. Collier, Mrs. Bennett?, Mrs. uh-Bennett-uh.
Still, it's distinctive and the only name like it in the country, kinda fun!

In a class I was teaching 6 years ago, we were talking about name changes and I told the above story about mine. When I mentioned my maiden name, one of the young (late 20s!) women asked, "Oh! Were you named for her?!" :? :| :roll:

And these people vote!!

Jan in VA