View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
euchreprincess

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy
I'm going to open a can of worms, here. We're looking into opening a small quilt shop in our small town. In a nutshell, can you quilters tell me what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!
My husband is fond of telling everyone about Little Blessings quilt shop in Crossville TN where we spent some time at, just because it was raining outside and we were on vacation with nothing else to do.

They have an area for the non-sewers, usually men, with a few recliners, books, an electric fireplace, a coffee pot, some religious music playing throughout the store. He was waiting for me in the car when a lady came out and invited him to come in to the air conditioning. He was so comfortable, I didn't feel rushed, and I spent over $50 on future projects.

The cutting area had lots of sample tops hanging on the walls for ideas. She also helped me pick good color combinations and figured out how much I'd need of each fabric and then cut it precisely....not on an angle, not short.

I then took a picture of them with my phone to make sure I didn't forget by the time I got around to them. The fabric is still in my stash, but the next time I'm in Crossville, I'll stop there, JUST BECAUSE!!

I'd like to see a frequent fabric club that has weekly [free] drop-in classes for how to assemble different types of blocks (quick 9-patch, log cabin, etc.) and tips and tricks. Our volunteer sewing group calls it "show and tell".

If you want an example of how NOT to be, just go to JoAnn's!! I HATE having to wait for my number to be called, to get my fabric cut by someone who has never sewed, and if I have a question, the person has no clue.