View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM
QuilterGary

Here is the problem: Binding. I am working on getting the binding on the first quilt top I pieced. I sent it to my DD for quilting and she did a great job. I do not want to distract from it with a boched-up binding. I have read many many topics here on the board. I have watched several tutes on binding. So I was getting ready to cut my binding Sun. and my DW and teacher sugested that I make a practice quilt from some of our scrap fabric Grr now I understand practice, practice practice but I had read everything on the subject, but I know my DW is right. So I make my practice quilt. I cut 2.5 binding strips and sewed them to my PQ from the front side of the quilt. I sewed the coners wrong my fault did not remember the tute correctly. I reread the tute on putting the binding together did real good there. Reread the tute on coners and got that one right. I cut the PQ down and recut some more binding this time I wanted to try different size bindings. I cut one 2.0, one 2.25, and one 2.5. I tried to sew them different was. I tried to use E Burns tute sew on the front side turn the binding to the back and sew from the front in-the-ditch catching the back. Not much luck there missed parts and the coners looked bad. Tried to sew it on the back and turn it over and just catch the edge of the binding but the back looked like a winding road sometimes in the ditch sometime over on the binding not good. All the tutes I have found talk about how to connect the ends and how to make coners but I have found nothing about just keeping everything lined up so it looks good. My best attempt was 2.5 sewing on the back and turning the quilt over and sewing it down on the front. I have read about hand sewing the last side but I do not know if I could do any better I would rather machine sew. Any help or suggestions? I know practice practice.