View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

With 1/2" seams you should end up with a 4" block on a 5" square. I did one the same way and it took 120 squares for a small blanket for a child. A little hint, Fons and Porter and Connecting Threads have a pair of "Rag Scissors". They are great for cutting rag quilts because they have shorter blade which gives you more leverage with less effort on your part. If you can't get a pair of them, try using a good pair of scissors where the blade is shorter than average length. The shorter the blade, the better the leverage. My DH cut off a good pair of Fiskar scissors and ground a point on them. The blades are only 1 1/2" long and cutting the rag quilts are much easier now. Good luck.

Originally Posted by candikhan
Originally Posted by quilter sue
Hi, I am in the process of making my first rag quilt and I cut my squares 5 inches not relizing that the pattern called for 1/2 inch seam, so what size blocks did you use? With the 1/2 seams I ended up with a 3 in block and seems like it is taking forever :XD: You did a great job I hope mine turns out that good. My instructions did not say to make a n x on each square, but I think I will do that to mine! I am so impressed with all that show pictures on QMB, I am so new to quilting I started with the simple stuff :-D
My flannel was 8 1/8" and the batting was 6 7/8".

Not everyone puts batting in the middle of the squares. They just use flannel for a lighter blanket. You only need the X if you use batting, because it will keep the batting in place.

Good luck!