View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 PM
sewdarnbusy

I spent $400. cash for fabric, the first time I ever visited my local Pfaff/Bernina store. I was not aware they sold fabric, which surprised me, because they have a beautiful selection of high quality brands of fabric.

When I got it home, I learned that they had consistantly cut the yardage to the inch, crooked. I needed about 1" - 1.5" of each fabric to make an honest yard. When I complained, days later, they blamed the manufacturer for putting on the bolts that way, and suggested that I purchase an extra eighth of a yard if it's that critical. I'll never go back. I'd like to think, you get what you pay for. I wish I had a nice LQS to support. I'm not looking for freebies. I am willing to pay $8 - $10 per yard, but I expect a full usable yard. Checks and plaids are no exception. It's up to the person at the cutting counter to make an honest cut. @ $10.00 per yard, 1" cost's .28 ... who should pay for the wasted inch when it's cut crooked? You would think, the person who makes the crooked cut. It only takes a minute to straighten out the first cut on the bolt, so everyone wins.
As consumers we are not given the option to pay by the inch... we have to buy an extra 4.5" for $1.25. Math is a big part of quilting. The stores are well aware of the costs. I don't expect the store to give me anything for free, just give me an honest cut.

Stores like JoAnn's and especially Walmart have ruined America. They put all the little guys out of business selling cheap imports. Small businesses used to be the backbone of our country. Now we are left without a backbone and wonder why our economy is failing. Who can compete with slave labor? There is no free lunch. Someone is being cheated if you get a deal that's too good to be true.

Remember "cloth world" and "house of fabrics"? They are gone, JoAnn ate them.