View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Longarm
I hate to be a dissenter but, a OBW is any quilt design that uses the same block repeatedly. The block may be a tumbler, apple core, triangle or any other shape as long as it is the only shape used without any sashing. I don't know when the term OBW came into use. (Maybe someone who couldn't spell hexagon or thought it was a cute term?)

In years past they were called "charm quilts" and the shape was repeated but no fabric was used a second time. A great way to use scraps and a reason to exchange fabrics.

Longtime quilter
Absolutely right! Maxine Rosenthal appropriated the name to apply to her one of a kind quilts that use one fabric and one block design for the main body of the quilt. But it isn't trademarked by her as it has been in use for a loooong time as stated. :-D I've often googled 'one block wonder quilts' and though you mostly get what we all know as OBWs, you sometimes get what are also called one block or charm quilts. BUt what's in a name, right? The most important thing is that we all know what we mean! :mrgreen:

I would differentiate by saying that 'stack n whack' applies to the technique of layering and cutting the fabric. This phrase is trademarked by Bethany Reynolds by the way but is so descriptive that it's hard to find a better way of describing the process.

The One Block Wonder uses the same layering, cutting and piecing technique but is defined by it's layout - ie without sashing as an earlier poster stated. Ms Rosenthal's books explain how to make both hexagon and octagon versions - the hexes are more popular as they don't require the setting triangles that the octagons do to join them together. :-D