Thread: Featherweight
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Marcia

Congrats, Judy, on your featherweight. I bought one several years ago and I just love it. The best thing about it is that you can do all the maintainence and repair at home. You can find all the replacements parts you need on the internet and a good manual will teach you how to do everything!

Since your machine is in good running order the factors that will determine its value are the condition of the gold leafing, the amount of "pin scratch" marks on the bed, how many original accessories/feet/book you have and the condition of your case. So, without seeing those details, it is hard to determine the exact value of your machine. I think you got a good deal, though.

When I bought my machine I took a class on basic cleaning and repair. We cleaned the body of our machine with Murphy's oil soap and then used a GOOD car paste wax on it. Several coats that are buffed to a nice shine will "pretty up" your machine and help to protect it against future wear.

I love mine and use it A LOT for piecing. It is my travel/class machine too. You are going to LOVE your purchase. Congrats!!!!!