Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
kwendt

Hi all.. new vintage sewer wannabe here.

I have my grandmothers 1928? Singer, in walnut? table (cabinet #40). The book says it's a 66-6, "the first electrified model" using either DC or AC. The book has an issue date of June, 1928.

Back about 20 years ago, I plugged it's cloth covered cord into my regular outlet... and blew the mains, fused the cord, melted the plug. Scared me to death! I put it away, never touched it. But then about 5 years ago, I took it to a sew machine repair person (wicked heavy thing!) and he supposedly overhauled it, oiled, cleaned, replaced the cord/plug with a new one. And it worked - when I picked it up, he was stitching on it. But I have been still scared of it.

So, it's been sitting around for 5 years or so, not used. I think, after reading all these great comments, I'm ready to overcome my fears and attempt to use the machine. I think....

Should I? What do I do? Does it need a new cleaning/oiling now? It's dusty, (been kept closed in my sew room most of the time). But all the parts go around find when hand turning. Is the 66-6 worth using? Does it have a 'great straight stitch' like I hear some older Singers do? I just started quilting...

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, you have...
kim