Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Crossstitcher

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi all.. new vintage sewer wannabe here.

I have my grandmothers 1928? Singer, in walnut? table (cabinet #40). The book says it's a 66-6, "the first electrified model" using either DC or AC. The book has an issue date of June, 1928.

Back about 20 years ago, I plugged it's cloth covered cord into my regular outlet... and blew the mains, fused the cord, melted the plug. Scared me to death! I put it away, never touched it. But then about 5 years ago, I took it to a sew machine repair person (wicked heavy thing!) and he supposedly overhauled it, oiled, cleaned, replaced the cord/plug with a new one. And it worked - when I picked it up, he was stitching on it. But I have been still scared of it.

So, it's been sitting around for 5 years or so, not used. I think, after reading all these great comments, I'm ready to overcome my fears and attempt to use the machine. I think....

Should I? What do I do? Does it need a new cleaning/oiling now? It's dusty, (been kept closed in my sew room most of the time). But all the parts go around find when hand turning. Is the 66-6 worth using? Does it have a 'great straight stitch' like I hear some older Singers do? I just started quilting...

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, you have...
kim
Yes it should be oiled after setting that long. Go ahead and try her out bet you will love her like the rest of us do our "little Ladies". Have to post a picture and let us see her.