Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Airwick156

I was diagnosed in 2002 with Type 2 diabetes. My original A1C at that time was 7.5. I originally had been put on Metformin 500 mg a day twice a day. Almost immediately I started itching and had diarrhea almost constantly. I also gained alot of weight while I was on it. More then 200 pounds worth of weight gain. I kept telling my doctor that I thought I was allergic to it and think she should take me off of it. And she kept saying "I want you to stay on it a little bit longer, a little bit longer". Well that "little bit longer" ended up being another year. I was totally miserable, afraid to stop taking the metformin, because I truly knew NOTHING about diabetes and thought if I quit taking it that I would die. (Don't ask where I came up with that at, because I don't even know but it was a true fear at the time.) Anyways, we moved over to the Oregon Coast and first thing I did was find a new doctor. A few weeks after we move there I had an appointment and I went. He took my medical history and all that good stuff. He asked me if I had any concerns and I told him "yes, I do" and I told him about my thinking I was allergic to the metformin and told him why. He IMMEDIATELY took me off of it and said I was allergic to it. So he put me on another oral medication which was great and I lost over 100 pounds in the first 6 months I was off of it, but I still had alot more to go. To date I've lost about 150 of those pounds. Anyways, my blood sugars were very controlled through my diet and some exercise not a whole lot and I was taken off the diabetes medication. Now for the past month or so, my sugars are HIGH again, my diet hasnt changed very much, but my exercise level has gone down because of the weather and again this morning my fasting blood sugar was 266. I am now back on my medication and just can't understand why its high. I even checked my sugar on a different machine in hopes that my machine was wrong and it wasnt. My A1C has been below 6.5 for about 3 years and now its definitely higher, waiting for test results. Sorry, I am just so frustrated that I had to vent.