View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
deema

I'm in the midst of quilting an Irish Chain quilt - This is the quilt... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90981-1.htm . I'm doing cross hatching along the outer edges of the "chains" Doing this leaves the 9 patches quilted fairly densely, but the large square is wide open leaving about 6" completely un-quilted. I'm using warm and natural, which says I can quilt up to 10" apart, but I just find the big open square to be too much open space (and I should say that I am not a huge fan of very dense quilting, so it's a strange predicament I find myself in). I like the way the cross hatching looks with the open block, and I don't want to just fill it in with more lines. I thought about doing some kind of design in there...but first off, I don't have a FMQ foot (I actually went to buy one the other day, but they were out of stock at my LQS! They're calling me when they come in), and I've never done FMQ, so I don't want my first stab at it to be on a quilt for my Grandmother, with which I am kind of under a time constraint.

Sooo...the point of my rambles? I was thinking about doing just a single decorative stitch in the center of each open block - a leaf, probably. It would come across, I think, looking almost like a button in the middle. Break up the space a little, without taking away from the look of the cross hatched chains. What do you think? :thumbup: ? :thumbdown: ?