Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
omak

Originally Posted by marcias
CB, I plan on starting a small one this weekend. I had cut a stack & whack years ago and do not have it put tog. but this seems to sew tog. so much easier than the diamond s&w. I have the other half of that length of fabric uncut, so will use it to tiptoe thru the hexagons. It is the only fabric that I have that is not washed after bringing home. lol After seeing all these obw blocks, I am hooked. I have the OBW 1st book I borrowed fm. a friend. One question...someone asked would it be better to cut off the tips to make the blocks easier to sew tog. I did not see a reply but have not gotten to the sewing thread yet. My juki F600 does not have a single hole throat plate and I'm afraid it will eat the tips.
If you are afraid the tip will get eaten, then use some 2" squares to use as leaders and enders (http://www.quiltville.com) ... stitch the squares together two at a time into twosies, and then the twosies into foursies (scrap quilt coming up) . rather than cutting between each of your blocks, you stitch the little squares together, leave them under the needle, and cut between the squares and your block ...
or!
Something I always counsel my students to do between any pieces being stitched together. Always stop with your needle down between pieces. I never use anything on my machines but that bigger whatever it is under the foot <g> (not able to remember anything right now) .... anyway! but, I always use the leader and ender thing, AND! Always stop with the needle down between pieces ... you should find that your tips getting chewed up will be a thing of the past <wave>