View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Feathers

Years ago my side of the family gave up on buying each other gifts. We were all at the point in our lives where we could go out and buy whatever we wanted when we wanted it so we just all chatted one Thanksgiving about NOT exchanging gifts at Christmas. EVERYONE was thrilled with the idea as buying gifts for lots of people as we all know is expensive, time consuming and the gifts are NEVER right in size, style, etc.

We have 6 kids, all married with families so what we did about 10 years ago was rent a place big enough for 40 people for the family to gather altogether for the holiday....the rent for the place is our gift to our kids. Nobody has to clean or worry about where everyone is going to sleep when it's "their turn" for all the family to converge at their house for the holiday. For our grandkids we gave them money. The GKs are now starting to get married, have families etc. Their Christmas money amount from us NEVER changes ll no matter how many new family members come along. This works beautifully for us and our kids and our grands always say the Christmas house and time together is their favorite week end of the year. Oh! yes, the other thing we do. Each family is in charge of one meal from planning, food purchasing, prep to clean up then they are done for the week end (3 nights, 4 days usually). We all love this as it spreads the work and expense of the meals around as with 30 or 40 people it gets to be a big job to feed them all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: :lol: