Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM
quiltmaker101

http://www.quilterscache.com/G/GretchenBlock.html This is the only online Gretchen pattern I could find through Google.

Sorry, everyone, but I totally spaced about this being my turn for the BOM. I don't have one made up yet to post as a picture example, but will do that tonight and get it into Pics ASAP. I am going to post a 9" version from Quilt Magazine instead of the paper pieced version above.

I have two excellent short cut (EASY) patterns, both from QUILT magazine, saved as PDF files, but I don't think I can post those here without permission. They are both 9" blocks.

If you want the shortcut, PM me and I can send it to you by email as a PDF file or Word document.

I am going to explain the shortcut here for those who don't want to paper piece this.

Cut one 6 7/8" squares and one 3 7/8" square - one each from 2 contrasting fabrics. For example, you might use a Christmas print and a mottled red for the two fabrics. You would have one 6 7/8" and one 3 7/8" Christmas print and the same sizes cut from the red fabric.

Layer the 6 7/8" squares right sides together and draw a diagonal line from corner to corner. Stitch 1/4" away from each side of the drawn line and then cut on the line so that you make two large (6") HSTs.

Now cut the smaller squares on the diagonal to make a total of 4 triangles (2 triangles from each square.) You are going to sew the small contrasting triangles to the sides of the HST. You should be sewing one short side of each small Christmas print triangle to the sides of the red part of the HST so that they extend the Christmas print large triangle shape and it looks like the red half of the HST is laying on top of a larger Christmas print triangle, with the point of the red triangle pointing down and the other is pointing up. You are going to trim that red point off even with the cut sides of the small triangles and this will make a large triangle made up of the two fabrics. This is half the 9" Gretchen block. If you repeat these steps with the remaining fabric pieces, they make a mirror image of the first half of the block and sew them together.

Gosh, I hope this makes sense!