Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
PrettyKitty

Hi All, I have been SEW busy over the weekend, I can't believe it, but on Friday I bought the fabric, and by this afternoon (I had the day off work) I finished ALL the blocks (40 in total)! I cut and pieced on an assembly style basis, did ALL the cutting, then ALL the yellow HSQ's, then piecing all the yellow rows, then the rows together into blocks, then did it all again for the red blocks. Chain piecing really helped me get things done quickly I think.

On previous posts a few of you have wondered what a 'duvet' is...well, in the UK most people have them, it is a bed covering, it can be man made or feather (mine is goose down). You then buy a duvet cover for it which you can take off to wash. I guess its kind of like a quilt but with removable covering. You can different thicknesses for summer and winter. When I lived in the US I had a comforter on my bed, same thing but you couldn't remove the outer cover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duvet

Anyway, this is for my Mom. She had a bad stroke last year and is only just now learning to walk again, so she sleeps downstairs in a single bed. She used to have to have sheets and blankets (easier to wash in case of 'accidents'!!) but now has better 'control' :oops: so can have a duvet again.

I'm so pleased with my progress. I hadn't planned to have it ready in time for Christmas, but if I keep going at this rate I might just have it done in time to give to Mom on Christmas day.

Once the top is pieced, I am going to kind of semi quilt it to a backing for stability, then make it into the duvet cover.

I have laid out all the blocks for you to see, have not sewd them together yet which is why it looks a bit skewiff. Thanks to all who gave your advice on the colours, I think that darker green really works well!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53510.jpe   attachment-53836.jpe