Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
kwendt

Geeze, does your MIL collect old machines or what? She has all these machines and she doesn't even know what she has?

You had to be honest -- you did what was right to do -- but, it is too bad you didn't get that FW. If you do ever get any of these machines, post them so we can see what you got. How did you MIL come by all these machines? And, what were the 'garbage' Singers. Another machine that is really nice to own is the Rocketeer Singer -- the 500 series machines. Did she have that one?Nancy
Hi Nance... my MIL is an incurable thrift store junkie. She goes out, 3 or 4 times a week, to all the goodwills, salvation armys, mom & pops resales, thrifts, junk stores. She brings home bags and bags and then stuff it into her house. She has TWO bedrooms converted to 'sewing' rooms, and both of them have only a narrow (as in, gotta turn sidesways) paths to get thru them. She's got some serious treasures in there. Oh... the rest of the house is STUFFED with collections of antique dolls, dollhouses, doll furniture, depression ware, rice paper houses, teacups, ... nuff said. Awesome stuff! But she needs a 30 room mansion... To be fair, she IS the go-to person for the whole family when it comes to finding parts, accessories and pieces of things. She's amazing.

Yeah, I know about the Rocketeer! No... the rest of the singers were all 70's and 80's models, all plastic, nylon parts.. She had a 5580 (not working), two slants 'touch and sew' I think, a 3rd singer slant I couldn't get to to identify, another singer needing cams (couldn't get to) but like 70's, the green monster, a white singer unknown-cracked head.. that's all I remember.

And she also had about 6 or 7 Singer buttoneers of various vintage and 80's styles. She even had a circa 1960 Singers Educator guide - showing the teachers how to teach sewing to the 'girls' in home eco classes. The machine used to illustrate the techniques...was ... the 301A. NICE I WANT THAT TOO. LOL