Thread: The dogs
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
nycquilter

Originally Posted by Shelbie
DogHouseMom, thanks for noticing my Cavalier. My daughter is suggesting that we get a Kuvasz for our farm as we lost our King Shepherd just before Christmas. I have heard that they are not friendly and I am nervous of dogs as I was bitten very badly a few years ago. Our shepherd always scared me a little although he was devoted to me. How would a Kuvasz handle cattle and a two hundred acre farm? I'd like him to be outside guarding during the day and sleeping in the barn or shop at night.
My last and second Kuvasz was a wonderful girl who really needed to be a working girl. For her sanity and well-being, we re-homed her and she ended up working on a farm in IL. Her new "mom" allowed me to be remembered, sending me pics and news every year or so. Kenzie was fabulous at this. She adapted to being an outdoor dog and a working girl so readily. In the city, with me, I just was not dominant enough and she knew it. I made mistakes, so that didn't help, even though I knew more or less what I was doing--with a Kuvasz, it is bred to think independently and override stupid (in its view) commands. She became scary to me, my daughter, and a trainer I'd asked for help. She needed re-homing and I did it though it tore my heart. I think she'd have become not vicious, but really bossy, like only a Kuvasz can, had I put my wants first and kept her. She was drop-dead gorgeous and huge, to boot.

Laurie