View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM
AudreyB

I'm building a new quilt studio and am trying to figure out what lighting to put in it. This is a new room that will be added on to the house, specifically for quilting. I will have my sewing machine, longarm, serger, and embroidery machine in it. I will also teach quilting or sewing classes. It's going to be a huge room, 30' x 30' and I want to make sure it is lit well for students and for me.

I'm not sure about can lights, because I don't know if they put out enough light for sewing or how close the light fixtures should be if I use them. And if can lights, what kind of bulb?

I'm not sure about flourescent, either, because they may affect the true color of the fabric. If flourescent, what size or kind of bulb?

I want to avoid adding a floor or table lamp at the machines, and want to make sure the lighting is not only adequate but is good (the older I get, the more light I need). I also want an economical electric bill every month.

What lighting do you have? What lighting would you like to have? What would you recommend?