Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
bonniebusybee

Originally Posted by raptureready
I do the same thing. I think it's because it's a gift I want to make it be for something really special. I agonized over this years, $200 at Threads of Time. Should I buy tools and have them for years to come? Fabric for quilts that will last for years? I drove myself crazy for an entire week then spent all of it and $150 more in one fell swoop by purchasing a "Time of Your Life" pass for free retreats all 2011. Hopefully he'll get me the same thing next year and they'll offer it again.
I guess this is just something inherent in our natures. I remember when I was just a little girl, about 5, during the Great Depression, and my uncle came to visit and gave me and each of my cousins a nickel. (During the Depression, yet! ..... An unheard of luxury!) We all dashed across the street to the confectionary/drug store. All my cousins picked a favorite piece of candy, surrendered their nickels, and were out the door.

I was still at the candy counter, trying to decide. (Should I spend it on candy which will be gone in a few minutes, or get something more lasting?) I finally left with a tiny blue spiral-bound notebook. The notebook lasted for years. The memory has lasted a lifetime.