Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
vintagemotif

I thank everyone who has been concern about me using WD40 on my Davis for cleaning. I use the WD-40 because we have numerous cans available. My husband stated that I didn't need to use kerosene. Since kerosene is a cancer-causing agent, I didn't want to use it. I know not to use WD-40 as oil on the sewing machine. I only use it to clean the rusty machine parts, and I do not use it to clean off the outside machine. I wipe all the parts off as best as I can after that and then oil extremely well with Singer sewing machine oil (maybe too much). I do not like using harsh chemicals, not even WD40, but I feel that it may be safer to use than kerosene.
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Now if anyone knows another product that is safe and works, I would love to try that. I read today that someone used Oxy-clean for cleaning the bobbins and wheels. Has anyone heard of that? or used it?