View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
The Creative Seamstress

I'm not a pre-washer myself, but I will starch fabrics that have not been previously washed without hesitation...

I use - [MaryEllen's Best Press "BP"] before cutting when using my Accuquilt Go! Cutter as I find it helps keep the die free of fabric bits and results in a cleaner cut when working with several layers to cut (IMO). Other than that - I generally cut, sew and then use a quick & light spritz of BP when setting my seams and/or pressing pieces for the completed blocks together for most of my quilting, so I'm not truly starch-starching everything ;) because sometimes I wont even remember to "spritz" before pressing anyhow. Everyone has their own personal preference and those times when it's "a must" or a "don't bother". To each their own I say! But at the end of the day - it is never a necessity, but it can be very helpful depending on what kind of project or end you wish to accomplish.

However, I will say that when you are mass producing XMAS Stockings like I did this Christmas (I mean I was really my own one woman sweatshop) - I can tell you that my choice to starch all my stocking fabrics that I used for the outside and the liner of them - was the best choice because it made the assembly line cutting so much easier therefore allowing for the rapid production of them.... and I didn't have a "stocking" die for my Accuquilt Go (or I would have been in heaven).

During normal/ordinary quilting activities - I don't need such a level of fabric reliability and/or ease in cutting, so it usually not a big deal. In the end whether I use starch or not... it all comes out in the washer and has no effect on the fabric if you chose to "starch" when the fabric wasn't pre-washed to begin with!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress