View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
quiltmaker101

Originally Posted by pompeii
If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? Wendy, currently in Pensacola, FL

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? started in 2003. thought about it for maybe 5 or more years prior to that.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) Expression. Creativity. It is a useful item and no one else will have one just like it.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? Teaching my daughter and I inspired my aunt to start. Now she's hooked too.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? Not much has changed in the last few years as far as techniques.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? this board is the only group I belong to. Tried the local quilt guild but they are unfriendly.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? My grandmother knitted afghans. etc for everyone. I can't knit, so I do this.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? Love it. What a great outlet for creativity!

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? Mostly large bed quilts. the hardest so far was a diamond pattern. Easiest would be 9 patch I guess. I like Log Cabins, but there are too many great patterns to stick to just one.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Client, family and myself.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? Swearing, ripping seams out, starting again. Sometimes switch to different quilt project to avoid frustration.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? how different any one pattern can look when you use different colors and prints.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? Quilts are made with passion, planning, hope, excitement. Anyone can buy a blanket. Not so many have the patience, commitment and care to start and finish a whole quilt.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? Contemporary quilting matches the business of today's world. There are shortcuts now, but I think that machine pieced quilts will hold up over time better. And applique and other traditional skills are still popular. I doubt if Michelangelo would have passed on modern equipment to paint the Sistine ceiling.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I greatly respect the women who kept their families warm by making quilts from any scraps they had. No central heat and rare opportunities to buy cloth. They were very resourceful, but made them beautiful at the same time!

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It really is worth even more than what it costs to make it. The cheap ones on home shopping channels are junk.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I wish it was a more social event sometimes, but I also value the quiet time sewing alone.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? N/A

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. N/A

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? This is the best kind of therapy. I recommend it to anyone who admires what I do.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Yes.

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.