View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 PM
barnbum

If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? Karla from the Finger Lakes of NY!

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I started 15 years ago. I taught myself by sitting on the floors of sewing stores and reading the books--trying to memorize the directions to try at home.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) Expression--a creative outlet. I thought about why it brings me such joy--and especially when the kids were small, it was the one area of my life I could call all the shots in. The pattern, colors, when to work on it, how big to make it, who to give it to.... felt good.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? Just one--my 12 year old barn buddy. She just started.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? I just learned about basting spray. :D There are some new methods I haven't tried. I like to stick to what I'm doing. I love strip piecing, but haven't tried paper piecing. It's too much work to learn new methods. New patterns are awesome--new methods make my brain hurt. :roll:

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? Nope. No time.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Umm, not really. Neither my mother or grandmother quilted. I guess my grandmother's mother did, but I never met her. I have three old quilts--but I'm not sure if she made them. So, the idea of it being a passed down tradition never comes into play.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? (see #3) Quilting brings me joy! Freedom! A welcomed challenge! And when I'm done, there's something pretty and warm! It's nice to have a hobby I can go to when I'm able. It's always there waiting whether it's been an hour or a month.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I love log cabins. I've made several kinds. I guess I don't get too complicated and stick to strip type piecing. The hardest one was called Garden Path--I had reteach myself how to make those squares if I left it too long. The easiest was one with squares and strips sewn into squares.

10. Who do you make quilts for? All family members, sometimes students, many friends--ones going through rough days. I've made several ragged flannels for folks I've never met--but feel close to through emails--when they are going through rough times.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? Depends. Fix it if I can. If I see it too late--it stays.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? warmth

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? loving stitches.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? Gained. It gives more options to creative minds. The old style traditions will always be alive and well. If others want to forge new paths--cool. I like to see what they've created. I don't have to like it, but I can appreciatate their efforts and talents.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? Some. I collect picture books about quilting to share with students. I like the stories about how quilts helped folks when moving west, and in helped slaves become free--through various ways. Quilts were made into maps to show the way. Neat, eh? When I heard some of the info was not true, I lost interest in the history. What's true, what isn't?

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It takes a lot of time, effort, and money. The price a quilter gets for a quilt doesn't cover it all. But, we get joy from creating each piece.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Always alone. I have enough social time, I love quilting alone--in my small cozy room surrounded in fabric. It's a hide-out.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Nope.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I had one quilt I loved as a child--so soft and comforting. I found it at my father's house a fwe years ago and asked for it. I sit on it when I sew. No other memories.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Nope. Maybe my kids will have some about me. :D I do love that my kids know I'll make them whatever they want. They both have 4 quilts and some wall hangings. Now that they are one the verge of living in apartments/houses--I should have more work soon. :wink: My son has a girlfriend--so it's nice to have a new person who appreciates the projects--so she's getting items now.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Of course!