View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
mrsj82

1. What is your name and where are you from? Amber from Nashville TN

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I was 19 when I made my first quilt and I learned from my mother and grandmother. I grew up in Utah so that's where I was when I learned.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) It's relaxing for me. Also I'd like to pass something handmade onto future generations.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? No

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities?No

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? A little, yeah. My grandmother and mother have done a bit of it during their lives, and I'd like to continue that tradition.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? It's peaceful and its creating something with my hands.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I've made pretty simple ones because I'm not very patient when it comes to finishing! The hardest one I've ever done is what I"m currently working on, a cardtrick.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Mostly for me and I'm trying to sell them as a side business.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I growl and if it's a big mistake I correct it. If it's a little one, I cover it up! lol

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The top. It's the ultimate expression of the person who made it.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? It's a lot more personal.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?........Not sure

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I really don't know a lot about it. I know that pioneer women made quilts, but they were all hand stitched...and I have a lot of respect for them.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It takes dedication!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone, and it's time for me to escape into my own little world.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Yes, I feel it's important to pass along all traditions.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.
I have memories of sitting on the floor under the quilt frames while my grandmother finished the top.
20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? See the above.