View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Catherine

1. What is your name and where are you from?
Catherine, Kentucky

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt?
Probably from my grandmother..she taught me how to sew, I had a natural talent in sewing and after owning a Alterations Custom sewing shop for 12 years I taught myself to Quilt when I closed it and ventured into another business.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc)
It is art. To express yourself through fabric is very rewarding. Quilting has many rewards. Looking and touching one makes you feel good inside, almost like you've come home. Family and friends love to get your creations, they get all sunshinny inside....quilting has honor.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? no, but I will one day.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition?
yes! I feel great about it...see I love the applique look and have been teaching myself this.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? once I was but they did not fulfill my need.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why?
not really.well..my great great Aunts owned an Alteration shop in downtown Lexington, Ky. but I have not heard if they quilted. My mother and sister have several in their homes.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
I'm sure I answered that in #3. It's like being an artist. You can't help yourself. You need to do it. I enjoy the beauty of every step in making a quilt!

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
Not a wide range of types..yet. mostly I love simple, applique and the two favorites...the soft old fashion florals and the bright cheery fabrics used mostly for children. I have only made 3 full size , but mostly like the smaller..lap and baby quilts cause I can't wait to get to the next project, my attention span is short! ha

10. Who do you make quilts for? family and friends

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? do it over..but then it does all depend on the mistake. There are ways to hide one!!

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? the story it tells.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you?
the word Quilt..should say it all...doesn't it sound special?!!

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? It seems to me that it has gained value. Perhaps maybe it is the demand.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
It does mean alot. I know probably about what most people know. What we have read. You know my Mother has repeatingly said that when she dies she wants to be wraped in the quilt her homemakers made. Now can you say that about a "blanket?" that alone speaks volumes! Did I even answer this question? ha Must be stuck on #13

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?
reflect on 1 - 15. I really know very little ..but thanks for asking. I'm getting a little silly now!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone...one day I'd love to have company.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?
I am the tradition...ha I have a large family and it is only me who quilts & sews.....I have one young niece that could be following in my footsteps. She has become very precious to me. I just bought her a sewing machine.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.
No..isn't that sad?

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? no thank you...not yet

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? yes, as long as you correct my grammer! :D