View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Dawn Hendrix

1. What is your name and where are you from? Dawn Hendrix from Virginia .. living in Georgia

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I took a class in Hawaii and was HOOKED

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I quilt so I can make things for people who apperciate them.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have taught 3 other people

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? differences .. I would say no.. but differences in me I would say YES

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I went to 1 guild meeting and joined and have never gone back. I LOVE this board so they are my buddies and group!

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Yes.. I am makeing something from a bag of fabric that will be cherished and loved for years and years. And hopefully anyone who sees it will see how much love I put into it!

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? I am so proud to quilt and show my work! It relaxes me and allows me to create FABULOUS things to keep people warm!

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? oo I have made a celtic knot to a simple baby quilt. The Celtic knot was the biggest challenge but it taught me I can do anything I put my mind to.

10. Who do you make quilts for? All my friends and family... plus those special people who see my work and commission me to do something for them!

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? oo I get upset with MYSELF.. I walk away... breathe and a few hours later come back and try try try again! then if it still doens't work well it goes to the bottom of the pile for a bit so I can focus on something else.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? the creative process, choosing colors and fabrics

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? A quilt is LOVE all wrapped around you, it is something choosen exactly for you.. no-one has one like it...

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I never did it any other way so this is all I know the now of it.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I like to see all the thinkgs made by our ancestors and I am in complete awe of them

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Just that is is a SUPER outlet to let you be yourself and let it SHINE through!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? O am by myself most of the time.. I have people I haev taught that pop in every once and awhile

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I am the 1st quilter that we know of.. I am proud to BEGIN this tradition for my family!

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. none

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?
not a one.. but my kids sure will!

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Feel free.. hope you get a good grade!