Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Rainforest_elf

So I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to quilting. I've made one quilt which I basically taught myself how to do it.

So here I am, I'm trying to make a pillowcase, should be a simple project but I am having such headaches over it, I need help!!

It's not the pillowcase itself which is giving me trouble, that was easy and I have directions to follow. But there's something that I'm doing that I need some expert advice on....

My best friend has often joked he wants a pillowcase with the periodic table of elements on it so he can sleep on it. He's a chemistry nerd. Me, being the doting woman that I am, set it as a task to make him said pillowcase for Christmas.

I may have gotten in way over my head.

My idea was to iron on a nice image of the periodic table onto some scrap white fabric, then basically frame the square periodic table with some geeky related fabric, and then sew that onto the rest of the pillowcase. I can't really figure out a way to get the framed image onto the pillowcase itself without sewing over the top of it... or cutting the pillowcase top into 4 bits and sewing the right sides together. I think that'll look like crap, personally, and want to avoid this at all costs.

I made a quick little mock up of what I essentially want it to look like when completed... and basically need some ideas from logical quilters (of which, I am not) on how to make this project complete....

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/24y8imr.jpg[/IMG]

I guess the simple way to ask this is, how do i get a quilted, framed image onto the center of a pillowcase?