Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Janet Espeleta

I had a similar thing happen to me with McCalls Quilting. They sent a "bill" in a yellow envelope with big black writing on the outside stating that my service was going to be cancelled if I didn't pay! Then inside it was just a solicition for me to renew. I was furious & wrote to them about it! Of course, I never heard back. Then last yr I received a cd from Fons & Porter that contained patterns of quilts that were on their show. The cd clearly stated that the 1st one was free and they hoped I would order more in the future. I received no less than 5 dun notices to pay for the free cd. Due to that I'm no longer going to subscribe to their magazine. Unfortunately I think the majority of these mags are now owned by the same publishing company & that is why the same scare tactics are being used. Also, I have never heard of any magazine that has automatic renewal system in place and I sure wouldn't do business w/one that does. The law clearly states that if you receive something in the mail that you did not order you also do not have to pay for it. The postal regulations considers this a free gift. I finally returned the "free" cd because I didn't even want it in my house. I still received 2 dun notices for payment after I did that.