View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Stormy Days
Is there a special way to sew all of the blocks together for the quilt top? It looks difficult and I can't figure it out looking at the pictures. Thanks.
You just make half hexagons. Pin 2 together to make a whole while you finalize your arrangement. Then sew half hexagons together into long strips. Carefully remove them one at a time from your design wall, pin together each pair as you go. Take them to your machine and chain piece them together. Clip apart, press seams open, then replace on design wall. Then go to the next strip and do the same. When you have all the strips made, then start sewing 2 together, replace on wall when done sewing together, so you don't get your arrangement mixed up. By this time you should be able to see how it's going to look and not get them mixed up. I always put a safety pin on the top half hexagon of each strip (just to make sure I don't flip a strip around). Then sew two strips sets together, until they are all sewn into one big piece. If you've been pressing your seam allowances open all along, it will go together rather nicely.