View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Quilter101
Banned

1. What is your name and where are you from? Emily from OR
2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I am still teaching myself, am joining a group

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I wanted a craft that was fun, challenging and worth it.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No. I just started.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? No difference, aside I've learned a lot more.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? This board, and am joining a group in a few weeks.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? My grandmother, Great grandmother, and great great grandmother all quilted. My mother does not.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? It is a lot of fun, makes me think, and is very rewarding

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I have only made one quilt, which was 12 inch blocks of blue fabric. I am working on a another one that is more difficult.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Myself, and family. Charity as well, in the future.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I growl at the mistake, and leave the sewing room for a few minutes and calm down.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The color, the expression of the person that made it. And the pattern.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? It is made with love. It just has a better feel to it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I feel like it is better then it ever was, aside from we do not use scraps as much as we should.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? The history is very intresting to me and I know some from what I have read on the internet.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Time and practice works.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone at this point, but am joining a group soon.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I feel connected to my relatives that have passed on, and yes I do feel like I am carrying on a tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I have a lot of quilts my ancestors have made and I do have the memory of a blue quilt I fell in love with. I did not know anything about patterns then, and all I remember is the border.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Not really. I've only been quilting since July.