View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Chele

1. What is your name and where are you from?
Michele from Orlando, Florida

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt?
I started playing around almost two years ago.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc)
It's a great creative outlet and learning process.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? I am self taught, so the process of learning new techniques is a nice transition.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? The Quilting Board

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Yes. My great grandmothers quilted.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
I love figuring out a pattern, making progress on a project, and the excitement of starting something new.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
I've dabbled in patchwork and applique. I find the actual quilting process difficult. My favorite quilts are scrappy quilts.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Family and friends.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? Seam ripper or trash can.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? Color.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The work that went into making it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
I think contemporary quilting has gained in value. More people appreciate it as an art form.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
I love reading anything about the history of quilts. Quilting has a vast and interesting history.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?
It's addictive.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Alone time, although group quilting interests me.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I think my great grandmothers would get a kick out of me quilting! I'm sure they thought the craft was dead before they died.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I have quilts that have been in my family for years. It's interesting to imagine where the fabrics came from and how they were put together.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? No.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Sure! Good luck with your project.