View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Overlander

1. What is your name and where are you from? Barb from Williams Lake, BC

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? 6 years ago - took a beginners class

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I love the color & feel of material and it was a new way for me to put it together to express myself

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I've given a demonstration of English Paper Piecing at our local quilt guild

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? Maybe not differences since I consider myself a rank beginner still. But, many new techniques to learn

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? Yes, Williams Lake Piecemaker's Guild

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? No, my mother didn't quilt and I didn't know my grandparents

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? The tactile feel of the material and ranges of colors we can use now are wonderful. After I finish a quilt and give it away I feel wonderful.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I don't have a favourite yet, but have made rag quilts (easiest), traditional block, stip quilting, bargello (most difficult), English Paper Piecing (most relaxing) and mystery quilt.

10. Who do you make quilts for? My family & friends and with the guild Emergency Services

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I just unpick it and redo if I notice in time. If not it stays

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? There isn't one feature, it is a combination of color, texture and quilting

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The way the are made, not mass produced, but by hand or personal machine.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? No, quilts are still made with love and the people who make them may be stretching their imaginations with new ways of doing this art, but it is still something made by someone for someone.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I've only read a bit about early quiltmaking and am always interested in more.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Not really, just enjoy what you are doing - and finally keep one for yourself.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Quilting is both for me, I quilt alone at home, but also in a group with my fellow guild members and at a local store with other ladies and men.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I am hoping I am starting a tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. No memories of any type of quilting.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? No - sorry, still too new at this.