View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
QuicklyQuilting

Originally Posted by sunnycat
I read on this board a lot about how many quilters never keep any of their quilts and give away everything they make.I have about a dozen projects planned for the future, and they're all for me! Part of the reason is that we moved into a 2000 sqf house two years ago and it's half empty. Walls call out for wall hangings, tables call out for runners, chairs crave quilts draped over their backs. Another part of the reason I'm such a selfish quilter is that I know exactly no one who would want anything homemade. In my husband's family, it's never occurred to anyone to do anything for themselves. They think it is so weird that I cook from scratch and knit and sew. Heck, they think it's weird that I clean my house instead of stacking all my stuff on the floor, letting it collect dust (hoarding tendencies run in the fam). My SIL cooks brownies out of a box and I'll have to hear her husband and my in-laws go on about how she's the homemaker and chef of the year. My family is more or less the same way. I told my mom I was going to make an apron and some placemats and she immediately ran out to buy me some "real" ones. Which is why we only give out gift cards or cash for Christmas anymore.

Am I alone in this? I won't ever be making a quilt for anyone but me.
I think that you should count it among your blessings that you know that your husband's family doesn't appreciate "hand made" gifts. At least you won't be spending your time, and efforts, making items that may end up covering an old engine or under a dog having puppies. My family has been polite, if not quite understanding. I make quilts as gifts for "traditional" occasions (new babies), or upon request. I think it's time for me to make quilts just because I enjoy the process.