View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
zyxquilts

1. What is your name and where are you from?
Sue, from Walnut, CA

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt?
In about 1992, I started taking a quilt making class in an Adult Ed class in Hacienda Heights, CA (& I'm still attending the same class!)

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc)
Because I can :wink: :!: I love the color & geometry of it & the artistry.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt?
Yes. I taught my cousin to quilt, and I have also taught a workshop for my quilt guild.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition?
I'm sure there are many differences from when I first started! I'm seeing more art quilts & mixed media quilts too. Keep 'em coming! The changes keep it from becoming stale.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities?
Yes, I belong to TLC Quilters, a guild in Covina, CA. I'm a past treasurer & current member of the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds (SCCQG) & a member of this message board - otherwise known as the "Everyone's Welcome" guild!

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why?
Yes, because my great grandmother was a quilter.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
It's a way to express my creativity.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
I've made many different types of quilts from pieced to machine appliqued to art quilts. For me, applique is the hardest and the one 'Storm at Sea' block I made was one of the most frustrating. I tend to prefer piecing.

10. Who do you make quilts for?
Family & philanthropy

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake?
Anything can happen! Sometimes the seam ripper becomes involved, other times it requires another trip to the fabric store, and still other times it becomes an artistic choice!

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt?
Hmmm...the color & the heart involved with it.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you?
By definition, a quilt is 3 layers - batting, backing & the top; in reality there is a 4th layer - love.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
I feel that all quilts have value, it just depends on who is looking at it.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
History was always one of my worst subjects.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?
See question #13.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both?
I quilt alone & with friends & in a class.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?
I don't know that I am carrying on a tradition, but it is in my family.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.
The first quilt I designed & actually completed is a flying geese row quilt. It's still one of my favorites. It was only supposed to be a wall hanging, but when I began cutting & sewing the geese, I realized it was at least twice as big as I thought it would be! lol

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?

One of the best thing about quilting is QUILTERS. Over & over again I have seen how giving & caring quilters are. Several years ago, after the wild fires in Southern California, not only did the SCCQG membership vote to give some financial assistance to 7 quilters who lost their homes in the fires, they also donated fabric & tools! How awesome is that? I see the same kind of kindness over & over again here on the quilting message board too. I am very proud to be a quilter.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project?

yes