View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Cathe

Originally Posted by pompeii
If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? Catherine from Burlington, WI
2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? 24 years ago, I learned from a magazine. We were stationed in Germany at the time.
3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I like quilts and it's profitable for me.
4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have been teaching quiltmaking for 16 years.
5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? Yes, there are many differences. Rotary cutters have revolutionized quiltmaking even more than the sewing machine did. More quilts are being machine quilted, which enables us to make more quilts.
6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I have been, but I am not currently part of a group. I do use online communities, including this one.
7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? NO, not really. My mother taught me to sew clothes when I was very young (age 7 or so), but she never quilted and we have no heirloom quilts.
8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? I enjoy the math! I like drafting a quilt and creating the cutting instructions, pattern and yardage, etc. It keeps my brain active and it gives occupation to my hands when I have to sit down.
9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I have made just about every kind of quilt except for some of the trendy ones (I spy or some commercial patterns for example.) The most difficult was the Thousand Pyramids (never finished it) and the easiest were the simple Stepping Stones (four patches alternating with plain blocks or Nine-Patches. There are many quilts that are my "favorites" - the Indian Star is one, and I also liked making Double Wedding Ring and the Dahlia, partly because they were new and interesting to me. I have a short attention span. ;)
10. Who do you make quilts for? I make them to sell. I also make them for gifts and for myself, but 80% of the quilts I make are for sale.
11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I fix it.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The drape of it.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? A blanket is just one layer. A quilt has three layers and is quilted to keep them together.
14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I am not sure how you are defining "value." I think there is an unfortunate trend to make quilts from commercial patterns and coordinated lines of fabric instead of doing creative work. I think contemporary variations of traditional quilts are interesting and appealing, as are unique quilts. I think original, contemporary "art" quilts (usually designed to be displayed on a wall) should be categorized with "art" along with painting and sculpting rather than grouped with "quilts" as represented by bed quilts, most wall quilts, baby quilts, tablerunners, etc. "Value" is assigned by the viewer, purchaser, or owner.
15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I know a lot of the history of quiltmaking, and most of the folklore is false. LOL Quiltmaking in America began as a luxury hobby and furnishing for wealthy women, and it spread and then declined in usage with the Industrial Revolution. There are certainly many examples of pioneer women and women in rural towns making coordinated or scrap quilts, however. Today, quiltmaking has evolved into a rather expensive hobby.
16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It is a learned skill and anyone can do it. There are fast quilts and time-consuming quilts. It doesn't really require "patience."
17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? It's been both. I am currently doing some special group projects and spenging a lot of time alone in my sewing room. I have also been part of groups who make charity quilts.
18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Not a tradition in the past, but I have instituted it among the women of my family, including the next generation.
19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. No memories of others quilting. All the memories of specific quilts in my past have been those I have made in group settings or with one other person (a friend or relative.)

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?

Making quilts to commemorate weddings or births have been a new tradition for the women of my family. We make the quilt top in one day, and I usually machine quilt it. This replaces a regular bridal or baby shower and provides 8 hours of fellowship and bonding with the multigenerational family members.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Yes

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.