Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
tjradj

My first question is, have you used a machine on a frame before? There is a learning curve to it. One does not just set it up and go. Usually you go through a few paks of needles and several types of thread, adjust the speed up and or down until you find the sweet spot where you and your machine 'click."

Broken thread (yes even every few stitches) and other problems can be the machine, but it could also be that learning curve.
When I started, my first tryout, I had Sulky 40 weight thread on my machine. After breaking a few needles, and having lots of thread breakage, I changed the thread and it went a lot better. The 40wt was just too thick and too soft for my fast speed. I also had to cut the speed down to med-high instead of pedal to the metal that I was used to on my tabletop. I had to change to "quilting" or "topstitch" needles too, to get a larger eye for the thread to slide through easier.
Now, I use plain old Gutterman or Coats&Clark on the top and Superior Masterpiece on the bobbin., The thinner Masterpiece thread goes further so there aren't as many bobbin changes. I can use it on the top too, but I usually want my stitching to show.
So, yes, have the machine checked out, but don't give up. A lot of frame quilters, even with years of sewing behind them, take up to 40 quilts on a frame before they consider themselves 'good' at it.