Thread: Stippling
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
tjradj

One of the best things that has improved my free motion quilting is following Leah Day's blog: www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com
Her blog is my "go to" place for freemotion quilting.
She has a ton of tips, patterns with videos on how to do them, and she has a web store that sells the supreme slider, machingers gloves, etc.
The gloves have rubber tips on the fingers to help you move the fabric around.
The supreme slider has a teflon top and a silicone bottom. It sticks to the flat bed of your machine and makes it more slippery to move your fabric around. I find it a bit awkward because I have a top loading bobbin, so I have to move it every time I change the bobbin, and I can't see the bobbin to know when I'm running low.
Her videos are amazing. They're also on YouTube but you have to know what to look for.
She also advocates having your sewing machine in the corner of the room and have a table beside you that goes to the wall and a table behind your machine which goes to the wall.That way you have lots of support for the quilt and it won't hang over the edge causing drag.
I believe she freemotion quilts with her feed dogs up. I don't, I like them down.
And, just play with it. If your stippling lines cross or get too close together - no one will shoot you@
There are NO quilt police!