View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by pompeii
If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

1. What is your name and where are you from? butterflywing from central nj formerly nyc

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? fooling around at age 20
while dressmaking commercially

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) for the peace
and quiet and restfulness.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? yes -- my daughter

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? definitely. very good. i am
much improved and confident about my abilities

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? only this forum

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? no

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
quilting provides a serenity and peacefulness.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? traditional and modern.
machine and hand-quilted. also tied. hand-done was hardest. my faves are machine pieced and quilted.

10. Who do you make quilts for? family

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? redo, throw out, live with it. what day is it?

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? color color color

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? blankets are strictly utilitarian.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? yes. If so, why? they have lost the historic significance of 'make do'. Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? no. they are simply another form of expressing oneself through fibre. art - yes. quilting - no.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? the history is interesting in the way that it's always good to understand why we do what we do and who preceded us.
i am informed to a degree that allows me appreciate quilting and the stories and myths surrounding it.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?
that it is as much a part of the history of the world as a part of the history of this country. that it can be quite beautiful and show the skill of very artful people. that it is a serviceable craft as well as a beautiful one, and should be studied with the same degree of academic interest as the building of fine furniture.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? usually alone, becuse i get more done tht way. sometimes i prep in company with a friend.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? no

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. no

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? none

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? feel free

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.
[