View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Suz

1. What is your name and where are you from? Suzanne, Pennsylvania

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I attempted to quilt with I was about 8 years old with my Grandmother and her friends; approximately 1944. The quilting frame was over the bed in the front bedroom and these ladies were sitting around it. They let me stitch. I am sure they tore my stitches out, but I knew that one day I would learn. I took my first quilting class at a shop in Alexandria, VA and haven't looked back.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) Loved to sew clothing and for the home and now love to to quilt. I make quilts for family only. Have made for my three children, for six of seven grandchildren and three of four greatgrandchildren. The two missed are newbies. Their quilts are coming.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have taught 4H quilting for ten years, ages 8-16 as well as anyone else who seeks out my help. I am retired from 4H but still work with several children.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? The advancement in the sewing machine technology including the longarms and all of the new tools. The tools are great. Can you imagine use a cereal box cardboard for a template?

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? Yes, with the guild until recently, but have taken a year off owing to my "full-plate". Will join again, perhaps in the spring.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Yes. I come from a long line of sewers but only one quilter, my paternal grandmother. Unfortunately, I am now unable to see any of her quilts.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
I love to go to my "playroom". I want to leave a part of me for the family to remember me when I'm no longer here. -- I am also making Quilts of Valor for the injured warriors from Afghanistan and Iraq. I want these lads/lasses to know that I do care about them and appreciate what they are doing. I make approximately one a week completely by machine (50" x 60") and today finished #67. I hand letter the label. While working on these quilts I pray for the recipient and know they are appreciated owing to some of the responses I get from the recipient or a family member.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? Traditional patterns and attempt to fit the fabric and design to the family member who receives same. Most difficult was one of a contemporary pattern. All of the family quilts are queen sized. My favorite style involves applique and scrap quilts. Have made a beautiful Baltimore Album that was shown at the Lancaster Quilt Show. I also make placemats and table runners, wall hangers, purses and pillow tops.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Family and self.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I will correct my mistake, if possible. Otherwise, it becomes a humility mistake.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? When it is done and hear the response from the recipient. After a pattern is chosen, I enjoy putting the fabrics/colors together.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? Quilts are made to convey to the recipient that they are loved which I always express on my labels.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
No, not the American made quilts. Quilting is an American craft and will continue. The sale of fabrics, books, tools, machines, attest to a healthy craft. I resent all of the quilts being imported and passed off as American while the foreign manufacturers are taking advantage of the impoverished. I understand that the imports have to have a tag stating the country of origin. These latter quilts can be picked out by most accomplished quilters when one looks at the workmanship.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? While living in Washington, I attempted to visit all of the exhibits there. Programs at the guild there, included those with quilt collections; i.e., all 9-patch quilts, quilts from Applachia (with newspaper batting and made with old clothing).

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It's addictive. It would be my wish to have every quilts make one "Quilt of Valor" for the injured. There are over 70,000 injured and we are running far, far behind the number issued. www.govf.org

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Primarily, I quilt alone although I have done the group thing. And yes, it is a fun social event.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Yes, even though it skipped a generation. My daughter quilts some, and a granddaughter is learning. I have always said. "each one, teach one". This includes family. I have been given a skill and I don't believe I should keep it to myself. Like my little 4H ladies. Three (10 & 12 year olds) have continued and call for an appointment so we can talk through a problem. They have a good foundation. These little ones are like granddaughters.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. Yes, as alluded to earlier. My parental grandmother. I remember the haps. Heavy and scratchy. Move vividly, I recall all of the red fabric which I now believe to be the turkey reds. She had made quilts for all of her 10 children which she showed me when stored in the middle bedroom dresser drawers. I was so young and never questioned why she hadn't given them to all of her adult children. After my grandfather died, she moved to an apartment and to the second apartment, and lastly to her daughter's. No one seems to know what happened to these quilts as none of the surviving children or cousins I have questioned know what happened to them. My father, went to his grave believing he was the only one didn't get a quilt. My grandmother did not like my mother. My grandmother was a hard woman and I don't ever recall her coming to our home. Grandpa came alone to visit.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Just those lost quilts my grandmother had made. I would love to have seen the designs she used, the fabrics chosen, her workmanship. And I would really have liked for my mother to see what I am doing now. I know she and daddy would have been proud of my work with Quilts of Valor.

Hope I haven't been too wordy.